Saturday, April 11, 2015

Pesto Sauce- Vegetarian versions

Like million others, I am also a hard core fan of Pesto sauce. I use it to dress my pasta, salads, as a spread on wraps and sandwiches or as a topping on pizzas, bruschetta and crackers and every single time the result is lip-smacking!

Spaghetti pasta with veggies in hemp seed pesto
But until recently, I always used store-bought version of the sauce, primarily consumed with two thoughts 1. sauce is undoubtedly vegetarian 2. its not an easy recipe to make at home and even if I do try, I will in no case recreate the taste. But, to my surprise, both my assumptions were gravely wrong! Parmesan or pecorino cheese that are essential ingredients of the sauce are rarely vegetarian and making the sauce at home is both easy and results in a better than store-bought version.  I've tried making pesto in about 4-5 different ways, two of which were exceptionally delectable. I am posting them here, do give them a try :)

Almond/Walnut Pesto: 
This ones inspired by the recipe on http://littleferrarokitchen.com/2013/02/basil-almond-pesto/ . However, I've made some modifications to make it suitable for vegetarians. Hope you'll like my version of the recipe,

3 cups fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup almonds (skinned)/walnuts
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
2-3 sundried tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup paneer or 1 avocado (optional)
Water (if required for grinding)

Process all the ingredients together in a blender until the desired consistency is reached.



Hemp Seed Pesto: 
This ones inspired by the recipe on http://www.createnourishlove.com/2014/06/27/basil-and-hemp-seed-pesto/ . I've also made certain modifications and here's how I did it,

3 cups fresh cilantro leaves/ basil leaves
1/2 cup hemp seeds
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
2-3 sundried tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup paneer or 1 avocado-for a more creamy texture (optional)
Water (if required for grinding)

Process all the ingredients together in a blender. The one with cilantro also works well, especially as a salad dressing or a spread.


You can also store these sauces in air-tight containers in your refrigerator, and they will easily last for up to 5 days.

I will be back on Monday with another write-up on another 'seemingly vegetarian food'. Do come back and leave your comments :) Till then, Read what you eat and Eat what you love, Keep it Vegetarian!!





No comments:

Post a Comment